Kirkland became the first city on the Eastside in 1888 and eventually became incorporated in 1905. In the early 1900s, Kirkland was the transportation center of the Eastside with ferries transporting commuters and goods. The ferries ran continuously from Marina Park's city dock to Seattle 18 hours a day. The opening of the Lake Washington Floating Bridge in 1940 signaled the end of the lake ferries.
Today, Kirkland is a community of over 80,000 people with the region's only downtown on the waterfront.